THEN

THEN
MANY MOONS AGO

Monday, May 11, 2020

April 17, 2020

      Greetings, my name is Ken Camell ll and I'm a Super Sophomore (9th year) at Laney Community College. Maintaining a 3.3 gpa is no easy task however my major provides me with enough motivation to withstand the task. My major is African American Studies and my minor is Ethnic Studies and thankfully I am 2 classes away from completing my Associates Degree. I was in the hospital 5 times in March of 2020 for an obstructed small intestine and a ruptured appendix. Outside of Laney I've developed communication skills to properly assist people from various socioeconomic groups .Some of my work experiences include: From 2011 to 2015 I was employed by the County of Alameda.

In regard to my long stay at Laney (Super Sophomore) I have endured a few obstacles such as; the murder of my father in 2006 ,a battle with alcohol addiction from 1997 to 2013, surviving a suicide attempt in 2014 and being diagnosed with manic depression in 2015. Plus a small bowel obstruction I've been dealing with since 1999.  With all of that taken into consideration lack of health and lack of economic stability contributed to my extended hiatus from Laney Community College. I am currently taking 3 medications ( Zofran, Raglan Hyschominie) for my small intestine so this scholarship will assist me with buying my medication.

Much gratitude for the opportunity to obtain a Bernard scholarship which will enable me to focus on my studies without being overwhelmed by the daily financial demands(food, medication, transportation etc).

Take Care,

Kenneth D Camell ll







No comments:

Post a Comment