THEN

THEN
MANY MOONS AGO

Saturday, June 22, 2019

Double Consciousness = No Joke

Greetings,

        The double consciousness W.E.B Dubois referred to is still very much prevalent in the 21st century despite some media outlets claiming the U.S is in a post racial era. I've had Melanated and non Melanated(White) people tell me I'm really not Black /Melanated because I do not fit into the "stereotypical Black guy "protocol so, I guess I'm not urban or gangster enough.  2 years ago while I was waiting for the bus in Oakland Ca (52nd and MLK) when a police officer got out of the cop car and asked the Caucasion lady standing next to me if she was ok, as if I was posing a threat so I guess I was being too Black that day.  I've experienced so many incidents where my melanin scares people that I often have to cross the street to prevent anyone from feeling uncomfortable  . My double consciousness sense is pretty sharp since I  grew up in Marin County. I said all that to say I understand the sentiments W E B Dubois shared when he stated “living as an American yet treated as an outsider”. Dubois concluded “ it forces someone to regularly view herself or himself  from a marginalized position”.

No comments:

Post a Comment